Re: Postgres vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Postgres vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Evilio del Rio wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have installed the dspam filter
>(http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam) on our mail server
>(RedHat 7.3 Linux with sendmail 8.13 and procmail). I have ~300 users
>with a quite low traffic of 4000 messages/day. So it's a quite common
>platform/environment, nothing spectacular.

The problem is definately dspam. We have been through their code.
The new version is much, much better than the older one but I am sure
there is more work to be done.

The first version we installed suffered from a well known problem:

It would use smallint/bigint but would not cast or quote the
where clauses and thus PostgreSQL would never use the indexes.

It was also missing several indexes on appropriate columns.

We offered some advice and we know that some of it was taken but
we don't know which.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment