Re: query plan question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: query plan question
Date
List pgsql-performance
David Parker wrote:

>We're using postgresql 7.4.5. I've only recently put pg_autovacuum in
>place as part of our installation, and I'm basically taking the
>defaults. I doubt it's a problem with autovacuum itself, but rather with
>my configuration of it. I have some reading to do, so any pointers to
>existing autovacuum threads would be greatly appreciated!

Well the first thing to do is increase the verbosity of the
pg_autovacuum logging output.  If you use -d2 or higher, pg_autovacuum
will print out a lot of detail on what it thinks the thresholds are and
why it is or isn't performing vacuums and analyzes.   Attach some of the
log and I'll take a look at it.