Re: [pgsql-www] pg_autovacuum is nice ... but ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] pg_autovacuum is nice ... but ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:>>>Moved to -hackers where this belongs :)>>>>On
Fri,5 Nov 2004, Justin Clift wrote:>>>>>Would making max_fsm_relations and max_fsm_pages dynamically
update>>>themselveswhilst PostgreSQL runs be useful?>>> Possibly, but it isn't happening in the foreseeable future, for
thesame> reason that we don't auto-update shared_buffers and the other shared> memory sizing parameters: we can't
resizeshared memory on the fly.

Right but we can create a new segment and use it too. I don't know how
these segments are used but I used to do it in the past, of course you have
to create a memory manager that handle not ccntinuous segments.
Of course this only if the effort to do it can justify the man power working
on it.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola