Re: Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/21/2004 3:40 PM, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> My boss has been keeping himself busy reading MySQL marketing pubs,
> and came at me with a few questions this morning regarding PostgreSQL
> features (we're currently moving to PostgreSQL).
>
> While I don't think either are really that important for our
> situation, he wanted to know specifically whether PostgreSQL supported
> SQL:2003, and what sort of capabilities PostgreSQL has to scale across
> multiple CPUs and hosts (multithreading, load balancing, etc).

That "multiple hosts" sounds that he came across the NDB cluster stuff
that will become available in MySQL someday. Be aware that this new
table handler will to my knowledge NOT support foreign keys. So the
enforcement of referential integrity is back to the application, now in
a multimaster cluster. I don't think that's a good idea, nor do I think
it will be easier to add this later instead of doing it right in the
initial design phase, but my way of solving problems is not the way
MySQL plans their features.

Jan