Re: Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Barnard
Subject Re: Two questions from the boss (SQL:2003 && scalability)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:18:52 -0400, Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That "multiple hosts" sounds that he came across the NDB cluster stuff
> that will become available in MySQL someday. Be aware that this new
> table handler will to my knowledge NOT support foreign keys. So the
> enforcement of referential integrity is back to the application, now in
> a multimaster cluster. I don't think that's a good idea, nor do I think
> it will be easier to add this later instead of doing it right in the
> initial design phase, but my way of solving problems is not the way
> MySQL plans their features.

This is the major difference in philosphies between open source
projects that are controlled by a company whose profit depends on
sales of the product (MySQL AB) and a project that is feature funded
by companines that actually need the features they are
funding(PostgreSQL)

So of course the are "selling" a feature regardless of it's need to be
functional.