Re: MS ASCII characters in text field - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin McCarthy
Subject Re: MS ASCII characters in text field
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thanks, this is the case.

As for changing it, docs seem to suggest that encoding can be set only upon database creation. The database which we need to change is running in production although with fairly low traffic at the present time. Would the best suggestion be to dump the current database and re-import? And if so, any hint on how to indicate the encoding upon creation? Docs probably state how but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again.

"Kevin McCarthy" <kemccarthy1@gmail.com> writes:
> Often users will copy and paste text directly from MS Word docs into the
> forms which will invariably contain Microsoft's proprietary formatting of
> characters such as 'smart' quotes, trademark, copyright symbols, accent
> grave, etc. We've set the HTML pages as UTF-8 and the database connection to
> UTF-8. However when our calls to import the data that includes any of these
> characters into the database, the queries fail complaining that e.g.
> "[nativecode=ERROR:  character 0xe28093 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent
> in "LATIN9"]"

That error suggests that your database encoding is LATIN9, not UTF-8.
You need to change it.  Beware that you need the server's locale
settings to be in step, too.

Kevin McCarthy
kemccarthy1@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinemccarthy