Re: indexed aggregates? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: indexed aggregates?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Monday 26 March 2007 14:39, henlin wrote:
> hi.
>
> Is were any way to make aggregates work faster? Like some kind of indexes?
>
> as for example "SELECT a,sum(b) FROM c GROUP BY a;"
>
> The only thing come to my mind is tmp tables && triggers && some kind of
> functions (not sure, which and how).

You could certainly put a trigger on table c that inserts or updates values in
another table and then use that for lookups of sums.  It wouldn't be a very
general solution (you need to know ahead of time what aggregates you want to
query), but it might satisfy your needs.

Sean