Re: Proper Sizing of Shared Buffer Cache - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Proper Sizing of Shared Buffer Cache
Date
List pgsql-general
Don Kelloway wrote:
> I'm a first-time user with PostgreSQL so please forgive my ignorance.
>
> I've purchased (and read) Practical PostgreSQL (O'Reilly) and PostgreSQL
> Essential Reference (New Riders).  So far, so good.  I think learning
> PostgreSQL will not be as difficult as I thought it would be.  I've also
> been googling for the last few days, but I have a question in regards to
> determining the proper size of the buffer cache parameter.

Another good reference point is
  http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

The only real way to find the best value is by testing different values
against actual usage.

There's also a performance mailing list you might find useful. Archive
available on the website.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd