Re: 8.0 questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject Re: 8.0 questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Vivek Khera wrote:

> GS> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
>
> GS> Another reason to move to 7.4.5 would be that each version
> GS> introduced changes in behaviour. You're going to be dealing with
> GS> minor headaches from things like '' not being a valid integer any
> GS> more (it used to parse as 0 now it's an error). It'll be easier to
> GS> do that in two steps than to deal with them all at once.
>
> I disagree.  If you're in your app and need to modify code, it is
> easier to make all the changes at once and regression test them, than
> do it twice: you're testing workload is likely to be more if you split
> the changes.

That depends whether you actually want to modify your app code or
whether you just want to upgrade the db software.

Also, it depends on how much stability you want in the production
environment. I personally would still trust 7.4.5 if I want the minimum
amount of headache. True, testing twice (one for 7.4.5 and one for 8.0)
might total in more workload, but potentially has the least amount of
downtime possibility.

--
dave