Re: problems with making relfilenodes 56-bits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problems with making relfilenodes 56-bits
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 3. Sinval Message Size. Sinval messages are 16 bytes right now.
> They'll have to grow to 20 bytes if we do this. There's even less room
> for bit-squeezing here than there is for the WAL stuff. I'm skeptical
> that this really matters, but Tom seems concerned.

As far as that goes, I'm entirely prepared to accept a conclusion
that the benefits of widening relfilenodes justify whatever space
or speed penalties may exist there.  However, we cannot honestly
make that conclusion if we haven't measured said penalties.
The same goes for the other issues you raise here.