Re: CVS configure failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: CVS configure failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> So distutils is now required to build python?  If that is intended, I
> will just skip building python.  I didn't realize we had new
> requirements for python, but that is fine.

Yes, the python docs imply that it is a reasonable expectation. Here's a
snippet from the thread a week or two ago:
>>> Joe Conway wrote:>>>> What version of python comes with RH2.1?>>>>>> 1.5.2>>>>>>> In any case, the online
documentationfor python suggests that it>>>> is reasonable to expect that distutils is already installed (by>>>>
defaultfor python >= 1.6, and by the user for python 1.5.2). See:>>>>
http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/dist/intro.html>>>>>>>>If there are no other objections, I'll commit the attached in
about>>>>24 hours.

And at the reference URL is this:

"This document only covers using the Distutils to distribute your Python
modules. Using the Distutils does not tie you to Python 1.6, though: the
Distutils work just fine with Python 1.5.2, and it is reasonable (and
expected to become commonplace) to expect users of Python 1.5.2 to
download and install the Distutils separately before they can install
your modules. Python 1.6 (or later) users, of course, won't have to add
anything to their Python installation in order to use the Distutils to
install third-party modules."

Without distutils there is no way to find the config Makefile on 64 bit
architectures.

Joe