Re: PL/php in pg_pltemplate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: PL/php in pg_pltemplate
Date
Re: PL/php in pg_pltemplate  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut said:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Unless I missed something PLphp will be able to be in core (once it is
>> all cleaned up). At least
>> that was the last consensus that I read. My understanding was that it
>> just wouldn't compile
>> by default?
>
> Well, either you missed something or I missed something. :-)
>
> The last proposal I heard was that we move all core languages a bit
> farther away from the core and then add hitherto-non-core languages at
> that same level.  This would possibly mean that these languages become
> their own CVS module but in the same CVS tree, and we'd release them
> all at the same time as the server release but in separate source
> packages.  This will resolve all concerns about bit/interface rot,
> circular build dependencies, and you'd get no more objection from me
> about pltemplate.

I have no objection to this, but it's not clear to me that it buys much
either. AFAIK only very modern PHP releases escape the circular dependency
issue, no matter how we arrange our source code. What versions of PHP will
PL/PHP be supporting?

cheers

andrew