Re: schema level variables and deferrable unique constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: schema level variables and deferrable unique constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Joe Conway wrote:

> Andre wrote:
>
>> Package variables are not transactional, additionaly they are
>> session based - each session has it's own variables(values).
>> You can assign initial(defult) values in package spec.
>> Using table for them would also imply several columns
>> for each datatype or several tables for them.
>

> I did a crude implementation of session variables for my OSCON
> tutorial which can be found here:
>   http://www.joeconway.com/tut_oscon_2004.pdf
> See the slides with myfunc_setvar(), myfunc_getvar(), and myfunc_rmvar().
>
> I have a slightly improved version that I'm using on a production
> system with good results. You can get the tarball here:
>
> http://www.joeconway.com/pgsession.tar.gz
>
> There was another implementation of session variables based on shared
> memory floating around the lists somewhere. You might try searching
> the archives for that also.

In 8.0 plperl has %_SHARED, which is essentially a stash for
session-persistent data of arbitrary complexity. It's one of the new
features. Writing get/set functions for them would be entirely trivial.
Seeding them with inital defaults would involve an explicit function
call at session startup - we don't have that automated for plperl yet.

cheers

andrew