Re: x86_64 configure problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: x86_64 configure problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joe Conway wrote:
>
>>Perhaps. The first error message seems clear enough to me, but if you
>>want to send me the necessary distutils test, I can incorporate it.
>>Any other opinions out there?
>

> It looks like a waste of space and time to me.

Are you serious ? May you quantify the space and the time lost ?

> The error message if it's not found is perfectly clear.

Is it ?
The error say "no modules named distutils", is the module an external
one that I need to have installed or is a bogus error due the previous
line: File "<string>", line 1, in ?

And most of all why when I wrote about the inability to create the RPM for
RH2.1 no one wrote: you need to install the distutils package, after
having seen this error:

checking Python installation directories... Traceback (innermost last):  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils
Traceback (innermost last):  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils
/usr/
checking how to link an embedded Python application... no
configure: error: Python Makefile not found

may be because the message after all is not concise.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola