Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the array_in code should
> be thrown away and rewritten from the ground up --- whoever wrote it
> originally had no calling as a programmer :-(.  I didn't look at the
> details of your patch, but I have little faith in half measures in this
> area.  I've already wasted a lot of time trying to patch that code in
> past releases.

Agreed, but I don't think I'll be able to get that done tonight.

While looking at it the last day or so, I started to think it might be
better to use bison to parse array literals -- or is that a bad idea?

In any case, I'm planning to find the time to work on NULL array
elements as soon as we branch 8.0 from head. At that time I'll also look
at cleaning up array_in (and friends undoubtedly).

Joe