Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange results - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange results
Date
List pgsql-patches
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> OK, this is done, but there is still an ugly bug in there (i.e. was
> there prior to my just committed changes and still exists) somewhere
> that I noticed while modifying domain.sql. Namely, if you forget to put
> a delimiter inbetween subarrays in a multidimensional array literal, you
> get odd results:

I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the array_in code should
be thrown away and rewritten from the ground up --- whoever wrote it
originally had no calling as a programmer :-(.  I didn't look at the
details of your patch, but I have little faith in half measures in this
area.  I've already wasted a lot of time trying to patch that code in
past releases.

            regards, tom lane