Re: Triggers on TRUNCATE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Baldoni
Subject Re: Triggers on TRUNCATE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
G'day folks,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Daniel Baldoni <pgsql@lcds.com.au> writes:
>> Forgive this if it's totally "out there" but I was wondering why
>> there's no support for triggers on a TRUNCATE operation.
>
> Because the entire point of TRUNCATE is not to scan the table contents.
>
> If you want to fire triggers, just use "DELETE FROM foo".

Personally, I've never used TRUNCATE within a production system (I can't
even recall using an unqualified DELETE).

How do you then audit a TRUNCATE performed by somebody else (who, for
"political" reasons, has superuser access)?  Such actions aren't limited to
attacks - but may simply be the result of "I thought it was a good idea at
the time".  :-(

Ciao.

--
Daniel Baldoni BAppSc, PGradDipCompSci                 |  Technical Director