Re: localhost redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: localhost redux
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
>

>>>I think you should first trace down what the problem really is --- is
>>>your system just misconfigured or is there some fundamental issue that
>>>we really ought to answer to?
>>>

>>The trouble on AIX is, that getaddrinfo only does a nameservice lookup,
>>no /etc/hosts.
>>

>Wouldn't that break many other programs besides Postgres?

Maybe not many use getaddrinfo()

>But in any
>case if your nameserver doesn't resolve localhost, I'd say you'd better
>fix your nameserver.  See eg, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html
>
>      The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
>      host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
>      loop back IP address and is reserved for such use.  Any other use
>      would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.

If localhost isn't being resolved correctly are you seeing error
messages like this on the server log (from pqcomm.c)?
  "could not translate host name \"%s\", service \"%s\" to address: %s"

Of course, using -i or -h "*" on the postmaster would inhibit that, but
you would expect it in the default setup if localhost resolution fails.

cheers

andrew