Re: localhost redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: localhost redux
Date
Re: localhost redux  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
>> I think you should first trace down what the problem really is --- is
>> your system just misconfigured or is there some fundamental issue that
>> we really ought to answer to?

> The trouble on AIX is, that getaddrinfo only does a nameservice lookup,
> no /etc/hosts.

Wouldn't that break many other programs besides Postgres?  But in any
case if your nameserver doesn't resolve localhost, I'd say you'd better
fix your nameserver.  See eg, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html
     The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in     host DNS implementations as having an A
recordpointing to the     loop back IP address and is reserved for such use.  Any other use     would conflict with
widelydeployed code which assumes this use.