Re: Release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 7/14/2004 5:00 AM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
>> Yes, but it has been committed, it will be released - the only thing
>> is that people will have to wait a few more months for it.  My point was
>

> Just a few more months? That is exactly what I was asking for, put some
> of the stuff into 7.6 so it will be released in a few more months
> instead of holding back the release now.

If we really released major versions every 4-6 months, what about the
last stable version? If only the current and the last version are
supported, this would mean that security/bugfixes are available only to
versions no older than 8 months or so, or said the other way around if I
need a bug fixed stable version I'll have to upgrade to the next major
version after quite a short time. We'd have to support 2-3 versions
older than the current release to cover one year major version
stability, which appears not viable for the community.

Seems we're stuck in the present way, being probably the best that can
be made with limited resources.

Regards,
Andreas