Re: Release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Release planning
Date
Re: Release planning  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/14/2004 5:00 AM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Yes, but it has been committed, it will be released - the only thing is
> that people will have to wait a few more months for it.  My point was

Just a few more months? That is exactly what I was asking for, put some
of the stuff into 7.6 so it will be released in a few more months
instead of holding back the release now.

> Well, that's not possible to answer.  However, they have already paid
> for tablespaces and nested transactions, so who am I to begrudge them
> their storage manager?

Afilias has already payed for as well. Are they paying in some strange
kind of different dollars or what?

>> Don't get me wrong here, I don't have a problem with someone making
>> money out of my 8+ years of contributions to this project. But I do have
>> a problem with those efforts getting in my way of contributing.
>
> I'm not quite sure how you've been inhibited from contributing?  You've
> done a bunch of stuff for 7.5, that is committed and will be in release.
>   How will press releases and news splashes hinder that?

There is again this "will be released". Great, but what I don't get is
why the stuff that wasn't ready at the original release schedule
qualifies in your mind easily to push back, when my stuff that was ready
is so unimportant that it can simply be jiggled around for a couple of
months. Are nested transactions that more or an "everyone needs" feature
than the benefits resulting from an improved cache algorithm?

>> Come again about hard-nosing, please.
>
> I'm actually not sure you are disagreeing with me, Jan...

Probably not. And as usual, I don't mean you in person, even if I
"would" call you by name just to make my point ;-)

Jan