Release planning (was: Re: Status report) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
Date
Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)  (Jonathan Gardner <jgardner@jonathangardner.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/10/2004 11:02 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> If you get full control of PostgreSQL, you can dictate what will happen.
> Until then, I will follow the community consensus, which may or may not
> match your opinion.

Marc isn't the only one who didn't like waiting for more features going
into 7.5 two months ago. I agree that it is too late now to push things
just out. But the mistake made wasn't ours.

What this repeated discussion about release plans and schedules (and we
have it every release) indicates to me is that we might miss something.
As you pointed out elsewhere, a 9-12 month development cycle just isn't
enough to get those big features done. But I think that stretching the
release cycle to two years and holding back all the smaller features as
well isn't a good idea either.

I think in the future we have to force all large features, those that
probably need more than 6 months of development time, to be properly
#ifdef'd. Then it wouldn't be that big of a deal to release more often.

Jan