Re: username length character limits? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: username length character limits?
Date
List pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Dennis Gearon wrote:
>

>>Stephan Szabo wrote:

>>>Are you sure that you're not just running into a case problem
>>>with case folded names (non-quoted names from sql statements) versus
>>>non-case folded names (programs which treat their arguments as quoted like
>>>psql).
>>>

>>I am putting the exact same string into both situations:
>>
>>    A/ creating the username
>

> How did you create the user.  Did you use the shell script or a create
> user statement from inside a session in the database?
>

>>    B/ trying to log in.
>>
>>If the database is not going to respect case in one, it shouldn't
>>respect case in the other, right?
>

> IIRC, psql (and the createuser shell script and such) treat it as if you
> had double quoted its argument because of the way shells handle quotes
> which would necessitate something like '"FOO"' to use a quoted uppercase
> name. So, if you say psql FOO -U BAR, you're saying log into database
> "FOO" as user "BAR".

I created the user from inside of a psql session.

And I cannot either connect from invoking a different psql session from the shell,
nor from PHP using it's compiled in c library for postgres.

It seems it's another gotcha with this database. I wouldn't have thought it would so difficult to insert upper(whatever
wasenterd) into the database, and validate it the same way.