Re: username length character limits? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: username length character limits?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> >

> >>Please CC me:
> >>
> >>If I create the user 'web_user'
> >>with password 'password'
> >>I can connect using 'psql' just fine.
> >>
> >>If I create the user 'D1Khb2g5m7FGk_web_user'
> >>with password 'password'
> >>I CANNOT connect using 'psql', I get authentication error.
> >

> > Are you sure that you're not just running into a case problem
> > with case folded names (non-quoted names from sql statements) versus
> > non-case folded names (programs which treat their arguments as quoted like
> > psql).
> >
> I am putting the exact same string into both situations:
>
>     A/ creating the username

How did you create the user.  Did you use the shell script or a create
user statement from inside a session in the database?

>     B/ trying to log in.
>
> If the database is not going to respect case in one, it shouldn't
> respect case in the other, right?

IIRC, psql (and the createuser shell script and such) treat it as if you
had double quoted its argument because of the way shells handle quotes
which would necessitate something like '"FOO"' to use a quoted uppercase
name. So, if you say psql FOO -U BAR, you're saying log into database
"FOO" as user "BAR".