Re: Dump / restore for optimization? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Dump / restore for optimization?
Date
Re: Dump / restore for optimization?  (Bill Montgomery <billm@lulu.com>)
List pgsql-general
lec wrote:

> I always have to dump & restore to make a database (which is in use for
> a few months) efficient again.  I have scheduled nightly vacuum analyze,
> but only dump & restore can make the database efficient again.  Has
> anyone experience this?

You could try several things if you want to avoid dump/restore

- Try vacuum full instead of vacuum analyze
- Postgresql versions pre-7.4 had index bloat with vacuum. 7.4.x fixed this. So
try with that.
- Run autovacuum daemon if possible.

HTH

  Shridhar