Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Cashell
Subject Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal
Date
Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal  (Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org>)
List pgsql-general
At Wed, 30 Jun 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Scott Marlowe, said:
> The combination of a Sig 11 failure and a process stuck in a D state
> makes me lean towards thinking it's bad hardware (CPU or memory).  Have
> you tested this machine?

It's possible that it's bad hardware, as the machine is a little long in
the tooth.  However, at the same time, it is a *very* well tested box.
It's been in production use for 4 years, and I have yet to experience a
significant hardware issue.

Up until this, prior to when I rebooted it a few hours ago over this
issue, it had been running for 110 days, with the database running
(under approximately the same load) for that whole time.

If it *is* a hardware problem, I would have expected it to show up
somewhat sooner than this.

--
| Christopher
| Here I stand.  I can do no other.              |