Re: New to the list; would this be an okay question? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: New to the list; would this be an okay question?
Date
List pgsql-general
Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I am new to the list and I didn't want to seem rude at all so I wanted
> to ask if this was okay first.

No problem. Reading your message below, you might want to try the
performance list, but general is a good place to start.

>   I have a program I have written in perl which uses a postgresSQL
> database as the backend. The program works but the performance is really
> bad. I have been reading as much as I can on optimizing performance but
> still it isn't very reasonable. At one point I had my program able to
> process 175,000 records in 16min 10sec on a Pentium3 650MHz, 448MB RAM
> test machine. Since then I got a Pentium3 1GHz, 512MB system and I have
> tried a lot of things to get the performance up but now it is
> substantially slower and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

A few places to start:
1. VACUUM FULL
    This will make sure any unused space is reclaimed
2. ANALYZE
    This will recalculate stats for the tables
3. Basic performce tuning:
    http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php
    There's also a good guide to the postgresql.conf file on varlena.com

>   Would it be appropriate to ask for help on my program on this list?
> Full disclosure: The program won't be initially GPL'ed because it is for
> my company but it will be released for free to home users and the source
> code will be made available (similar to other split-license programs)
> though once my company makes it's money back I think they will fully GPL
> it (I am on my boss's case about it :p ).

No problem - what you licence your software under is your concern. Once
you've taken the basic steps described above, try to pick out a specific
query that you think is too slow and provide:

1. PostgreSQL version
2. Basic hardware info (as you have)
3. Sizes of tables.
4. Output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE <query here>

The EXPLAIN ANALYZE runs the query and shows how much work PG thought it
would be and how much it actually turned out to be.

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd