Re: Last insert id - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michalis Kabrianis
Subject Re: Last insert id
Date
List pgsql-sql

Andrei Bintintan wrote:
> "Is it safe to use "select max(table1_id) from table1" after the insert?"
>
> Yes it is safe, but ONLY if you use it inside a transaction.(BEGIN/COMMIT).
>
> BR.

Hi,
I think it would be safe to use :
select currval('tablename_idname_seq');
inside a session to receive the current value of the sequence that feeds
the serial column (i.e. the last inserted value on that session). Every
other session is irrelevant (as the currval returns the session-specific
value).
If I understand correctly, it doesn't even need the transaction to be
open (in which case all consecutive inserts on the same table would block).

M.K.