Re: Error application using Powerbuilder 7 and postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Error application using Powerbuilder 7 and postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
agus liem wrote:
> Hai..
> I introduce myself, my name : Agus, from Indonesia.
> Im develop application using POwerbuilder 7 and postgresql 7.3.
>
> I have serveral error, and cannot solve yet. Anybody help me?

Hi Agus, I'll do my best.

> This is the error :
> 1. When I connecct postgresql using powerbuilder , there is message like
> this ...
> Catalog tables could not be created and are not available for use
> Why ?

Don't know. This doesn't sound like a PostgreSQL error - is it something
from PowerBuilder? You'll have to turn statement logging on in the
postgresql.conf file and see what sql is being sent unless powerbuilder
can tell you more. Details on setting statement logging are in the manuals.

> 2.  When I login to my application , sometimes raise error like this...
> SQLSTATE = 28000
> FATAL : Sorry, too many clients already
>
> Why? What is the solution

It sounds like you have too many connections. How many do you have, and
is this larger than the limit set in postgresql.conf? Details in the
manuals.

> 2. There are 5000 rows, then there are report call query like this
> SELECT  so_hd.*
[snip]

> when running aplication call this report, application become hang. Why ?
> there is solution?

Don't know. Is the database doing anything? What do ps and top show? Are
there any errors recorded in postgresql's logs?

> 4.  There are some  report become hang . The transaction is few but
> design report using sub report. Is it cause hang?
> is there the solustion ?

What do the logs show? What hangs? What transactions would you be using
to create a report?

> 3. There is error like this...
> Sybase Inc. Product File has encountered a problem and needs to close

I'm not sure what relevance a "Sybase Inc. Product File" has to
postgresql - it's presumably something to do with Sybase.

> When I using report window for query and access thousand record
> transcaction. Why ? Any suggestion

Sorry - I don't understand what you mean here. What I'd suggest is:

1. Pick one problem (to start with)
2. Turn statement-logging on in the postgresql.conf file
3. Restart the database
4. Reproduce the problem
5. Post details here, along with any errors/warnings in the logs.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd