Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I am running postgresql 7.2.4 on a Redhat 8.0 system.
>
> I have been looking for a way to setup another database besides the
> initial one setup under /var/lib/pgsql/data on a different file system.
>
> I have found a few references to configuring a separate PGDATA2
> environment variable and running the initlocation PGDATA2 followed by
> createdb -D PGDATA2 testdb.
>
> The directories are created.
>
> However when executing those steps I get the following error:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ createdb testdb2 -D 'PGDATA2'
> ERROR:  Postmaster environment variable 'PGDATA2' not set
> createdb: database creation failed

1. Have you tried not quoting PGDATA2 (I seem to remember it being picky
about such things).

2. Are you aware you can use a full path (/vhost/database/data) instead
of PGDATA2? This requires setting a compile-time flag though.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd