Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree?  Won't it be popular
>enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
>core?

Honestly, I don't know if it would be popular enough on its own. Now the
plPerlNG that Andrew
and us are working, yes but plPHP? It is nifty, it is cool, it is very
capable but it is still PHP.

I think the point of having it in core is that the three most popular
user space languages are:

Python
Perl
PHP

If those are covered within core under the pl* then we have all bases
covered.

I am not saying that it should be in core (although I definately think
plPerlNG should be). This all
started because it was suggested it could be :)