Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vinay Jain
Subject Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Vinay Jain <vinayj@sarathi.ncst.ernet.in> writes:
>

>>Not actually even in Hindi Locale the output was incorrect..i.e. sort
>>order was wrong
>>and also length and substring operations
>>which are not based on syllables.
>>

>Hm, possibly you weren't using the same character set encoding that the
>locale was expecting?  It's not very well documented, but every locale
>setting works only with a specific encoding.

I kept server side encoding  to hi_IN.UTF-8...(Hindi Locale)
also tested changing my OS encoding to the same.....
so i think that I was using right character set encoding..

>If the locale definition really is wrong for your purposes, it seems
>like what you want to do is write a new locale definition that does what
>you want.  Then you could use it with any Unix program, not only
>Postgres.  (I've never done this, but I can't see that it would be any
>harder than writing C code inside Postgres to do it ...)
>
>Locale defination is not wrong for my purpose only ordering , length and substring operations are incorrect (in
postgresthese operations are based on either character or unicodes not on syllables)which i corrected using my own data
typeand operations

and this is not the case with Postgres only even in MS-SQL the problem
is same...Research work is going on Ordering issues of  Hindi and this
project is part of it
I opted PostgreSQL because It gives flexibility to design own data type
and operations in a nice way...
only problem is performance.........because I have to look up a table
while doing comparision and want to keep this table in DataBase

>            regards, tom lane
>
>regards

Vinay Jain