Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vinay Jain
Subject Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>Vinay Jain said:
>

>>hi
>>ya  function is declared immutable and strict... also made btree
>>

>The docs state this about immutable functions:
>

>IMMUTABLE indicates that the function always returns the same result when
>given the same argument values; that is, it does not do database lookups
>or otherwise use information not directly present in its argument list.
>

>So it appears you are lying to postgres when you declare your function to
>be immutable, because you are doing a database lookup.
>
>Why not just code your lookup table as static data immediately available
>to your function, and look it up from C directly, rather than using a
>database table? Then your function could be genuinely immutable (and fast).
>
>cheers
>
>andrew
>
>Hi

You mean that I should create a static table in C program itself and use
it...if i am not wrong
Ya for the time being i am doing this thing but actually table is bigger
(around 5000 rows with 6 columns)
also this table is also created and destroyed in each indchar_lt call
which is called many times in order by clause
one more thing i want it generalized so that I can include other indian
languages also..without changing code..
If there is not any method to get results fast using database table i
will have to opt this option only..
regards
Vinay