Re: Mind of its own? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Mind of its own?
Date
List pgsql-general
<s400t@yahoo.co.jp> writes:
> I am using Postgresql 9.6, and the latest phppgadmin. OS is Debian 9.6.

> 1. Created a database.
> 2. Created tables inside that database.
> 3. Dropped that database.

> Now, what happens is when I create another database with the same name or different name, all those tables are
alreadyinside that database!!! I have not run the table create script.

I think you created some tables in the "template1" database, which is
(by default) what CREATE DATABASE clones to make a new DB.  Duplicating
its contents is considered a feature not a bug.

You could manually clean out template1, or if that seems painful,
you could drop it and recreate it by cloning template0 (see
CREATE DATABASE's TEMPLATE option).  template0 exists precisely
to be a virgin empty database for this sort of purpose.

(There is an interlock to prevent you from dropping either
of these template databases accidentally.  Overriding that is
left as an exercise for the student.)

            regards, tom lane