Re: mingw configure failure workaround - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: mingw configure failure workaround
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>>> Even if we don't do that can we *please* put in something that
>>> detects the error, and tells the user what they will have to do to
>>> fix it? Failing in a situation which we know we can detect and not
>>> telling the user is intolerable, IMNSHO.
>>>

>> Can you try a more recent version of autoconf and see if that behaves
>> more tolerably?
>>

> tested with autoconf 2.59.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not. It does try to copy if a link fails,
> unlike what we have now:
>
>  ln -s $ac_rel_source $ac_dest 2>/dev/null ||
>    ln $srcdir/$ac_source $ac_dest 2>/dev/null ||
>    cp -p $srcdir/$ac_source $ac_dest ||
>
> We don't have the last line, which must have been added since autoconf
> 2.53.

I was ahead of myself. It does appear to work, (tested in the platform I
was using to get reliable failure, with autoconf 2.56 from the MSysDTK).

I'm damned if I know why, though.

I still think we should cosider the little error detection macro I just
posted.

cheers

andrew