Re: Fixed directory locations in installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Fixed directory locations in installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>>Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>

>>>To make it work more cross-platform, replace "that registry thing"
>>>with "postgresql.conf". It's basically the same thing, except the
>>>registry has a hierarchy model.
>>>

>>That only works as long as all the files we want to refer to are used by
>>the server.  But how will psql find /etc/psqlrc, how will libpq find
>>pg_service.conf, how will pg_dumpall find pg_dump, etc.?
>>

>Actually, postgresql.conf only works once they run initdb (and we have
>PGDATA defined).  We still have the open issue of how initdb finds
>postgresql.conf.sample unless we embed the file in the initdb binary
>(double-yuck).
>
>For pg_dump on Unix, we hopefully have it in our path, but on Win32, we
>will not.
>
>For Win32, we could use the registry.  For Unix, we can't use /etc
>because we can't be sure we are root.  Can we create a dot-file in the
>user's home directory during install?

We can't be sure we are Administrator either.

Binaries can find other binaries the way they do now: look in our own
location, then in the path.

Other files could be found by looking in 1) as per commandline (e.g. -L
in initdb) 2) hardcoded location, 3) our-location/../share

No config files / registry entries should be necessary, AFAICS.

cheers

andrew