Password for postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Heller
Subject Password for postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I am using a postgres database, and want to set a password for the account. The default user name is 'postgres' and in order to set a password, I did an alter user as below,

alter user postgres with password 'mypwd';

The command goes through fine, but the next time I log into postgres using the command,

psql mydb postgres

it logs in, and doesnt ask me for a password at all. If I issue a command like,

psql mydb postgres mypwd

it says, extra argument!!! I have checked the pg_shadow table, and it looks like the password has been set. I also have a trust entry for the database server that I am accessing it through, in the pg_hba.conf file.

Any suggestions to get around this problem?

Thanks!
George

Need Mail bonding?