Re: BUG #12670: Can't create postgis extension in single-user mode - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #12670: Can't create postgis extension in single-user mode
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> "Tom" == Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>  Tom> Single-user mode is a barely-documented disaster recovery aid.
>  Tom> It's not meant for routine activity.  There are a *whole lot*
>  Tom> of behaviors you want that are turned off in single-user mode.

> Ok, I'll bite: what are they?

By far the worst problem is the lack of any background checkpointing
behavior.  But you probably don't want to be without autovacuum either
(which requires the stats collector).  The other background processes
are more about performance than minimum expected functionality.

Now, I'll agree that if you just intend to install a couple of simple
extensions, you might be able to get away with doing that much without
any background support processes.  But it's not a mode meant for
routine activity.  And I rather wonder why you need to install
extensions in that way anyway.

            regards, tom lane