Re: BUG #12670: Can't create postgis extension in single-user mode - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #12670: Can't create postgis extension in single-user mode
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 01/28/2015 03:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Now, I'll agree that if you just intend to install a couple of simple
> extensions, you might be able to get away with doing that much without
> any background support processes.  But it's not a mode meant for
> routine activity.  And I rather wonder why you need to install
> extensions in that way anyway.

Using the single-user mode for installing extensions etc. is a sensible
idea; or was if it worked. It'd be nice to run initdb, install
extensions, even load data etc. all in single-user mode, before opening
up the cluster for connections. Sure, you can hack pg_hba.conf /
postgresql.conf to keep the real users away until you're done with the
setup, but it's more hassle than just using the single-user mode.

We had discussions some time ago about teaching the backend to speak the
regular FE/BE protocol in single-user mode, and having libpq "connect"
to that. That would still be nice...

- Heikki