Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> How hard would it be to change pg_proc.proargtypes from oidvector to _oid

Lack of btree index support for _oid would be the first hurdle.

Even if we wanted to do that work, there'd be some serious breakage
of client queries because of the historical differences in output format
and subscripting.  (oidvector indexes from 0, _oid from 1.  Which is
pretty bogus, but if the regression tests are anything to judge by there
are probably a lot of queries out there that know this.)

> This could also get the requested 2% speedup,

I'm not convinced that _oid would be faster.

All in all, it doesn't seem worth the trouble compared to just kicking
FUNC_MAX_ARGS up a notch.  At least not right now.  I think we've
created quite enough system-catalog changes for one release cycle ;-)