Re: Shall we just get rid of plpgsql's RENAME? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Shall we just get rid of plpgsql's RENAME?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> According to
>>
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-RENAMING-VARS
>> the RENAME declaration in plpgsql has been known broken since PG 7.3.
>> Nobody has bothered to fix it.  Shall we just rip it out?
>
> +1 on that - I don't think I have seen it used in any production code I came
> accross in a long time.

I'm fine with just ripping it out. Making it an alias for ALIAS seems
tempting at first but I can't say how often I've found constructs like
that confusing in languages and interfaces because the natural
assumption is that there must be some kind of distinction between the
terms. In the long term it makes things way simpler to understand if
there aren't redundancies like that.

Did we get the keyword from anyplace? Is it an Oracleism or MSSQLism
or anything?

--
greg