Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Six PostgreSQL questions from a pokerplayer
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Patvs<patvs@chello.nl> wrote:
> -4 One a scale from 1 to 10, how significant are the following on
> performance increase:
> -[ ] Getting a faster harddisk (RAID or a SSD)
> -[ ] Getting a faster CPU
> -[ ] Upgrading PostgreSQL (8.2 and 8.3) to 8.4
> -[ ] Tweaking PostgreSQL (increasing # shared_buffers, wal_buffers,
> effective_cache_size, etc.)
> -[10!] Something else?

It sounds like you have specific performance problems you're trying to
address. Given the use case it seems surprising that you're looking at
such heavy-duty hardware. It seems more likely that
PokerTracker/Holdem Manager is missing some indexes in its schema or
that some queries could be tweaked to run more efficiently.

Perhaps if you set log_statement_duration and send any slow queries
here we would find a problem that could be fixed.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf