Re: [HACKERS] logging statement levels - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logging statement levels
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>Right.  The query type can't be determined during a syntax error because
>>>the parser couldn't identify the supplied command.  I think that is
>>>fine.
>>>
>>>What it does allow is to for 'all' to display the command before the
>>>syntax error.
>>>

>>If I had to make a choice I'd go the other way.
>>

>Uh, what other way?

reverse the order rather than suppress the message.

>>However, I think with a little extra work it might be possible to have both.
>>

>Right now, the way it is done, only a real syntax error skips logging.
>If you referenced an invalid table or something, it does print the log
>just before the invalid table name mention.
>
>How would we test the command type before hitting a syntax error?  I
>can't think of a way, and I am not sure it would even be meaningful.

I agree that you can't test the statement type on a parse error. But
that doesn't mean to me that "mod" should suppress logging statements
with syntax errors. In fact, after the discussion surrounding this I
thought the consensus was to have these things as additive rather than
just one level selected.

How to do it in the order you prefer? I would trap the parse error and
log the statement before emitting the error log.

If I find a simple way I'll submit a further patch.

Certainly your patch contains the guts of what needs to be done in any case.

cheers

andrew

cheers

andrew