Re: [HACKERS] logging statement levels - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logging statement levels
Date
List pgsql-patches
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >>However, I think with a little extra work it might be possible to have both.
> >>

> >Right now, the way it is done, only a real syntax error skips logging.
> >If you referenced an invalid table or something, it does print the log
> >just before the invalid table name mention.
> >
> >How would we test the command type before hitting a syntax error?  I
> >can't think of a way, and I am not sure it would even be meaningful.
> >

> I agree that you can't test the statement type on a parse error. But
> that doesn't mean to me that "mod" should suppress logging statements
> with syntax errors. In fact, after the discussion surrounding this I
> thought the consensus was to have these things as additive rather than
> just one level selected.

It is additive in that 'mod' also includes 'ddl' queries.

> How to do it in the order you prefer? I would trap the parse error and
> log the statement before emitting the error log.
>
> If I find a simple way I'll submit a further patch.
>
> Certainly your patch contains the guts of what needs to be done in any case.

Right now we have log_min_error_statement:

    #log_min_error_statement = panic # Values in order of increasing severity:
                                     #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
                                     #   info, notice, warning, error, panic(off)

which does allow control of printing only statements generating errors,
which includes syntax errors.  I don't see why this functionality should
be mixed in with log_statement.

Did you want a 'syntax error' level to log_statement, that would print
only statements with syntax errors but not other errors?  That doesn't
seem very useful to me.