Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Ildus Kurbangaliev <
> i.kurbangaliev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> This is why I think we shoudn't place wait event into PgBackendStatus. It
>> could be placed into PGPROC or even separate data structure with different
>> concurrency model which would be most suitable for monitoring.

> +1 for tracking wait events not only for backends

> Ildus, could you do following?
> 1) Extract LWLocks refactoring into separate patch.
> 2) Make a patch with storing current wait event information in PGPROC.

What will this accomplish exactly, other than making it more complicated
to make a copy of the information when we capture an activity snapshot?
You'll have to get data out of two places, which do not have any
synchronization protocol defined between them.