Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-odbc
--- On Fri, 11/23/07, Finn Lassen <dcio@AxiomInt.com> wrote:
> I don't understand the difference between "LongVarchar" and
> "Varchar",
> but I have to use B1 whether I use the ANSI or UNICODE driver.
> (Content of the memo field I put into text data type can be more than
> 64K, so I choose 128000. The default is 8196, so it has to be increased.)

For what it is worth, Postgresql has a 1 Gb limit on the size of a text field. So if you know that you ascii chars are
8bits, then you should be able to store a little over 134,000,000 characters.

> Conclusion: Version 8.2.4.0 of psqlodbc30a.dll and psqlodbc30w.dll
> require tables WITH OID.
> (The "OID Options, Show column" -- and presumably
> "ShowOidColumn" -- has
> no effect.)

I will try to spend some time to play with ADO record sets without using a DSN to see what happens and see with I can
comeup with. But in the mean time at least you can perform your test comparison.