Re: partial VACUUM FULL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: partial VACUUM FULL
Date
Re: partial VACUUM FULL
List pgsql-general
Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> If I cancel a VACUUM FULL, is the work that was done up until that point
> thrown away?  I have a table that needs vacuuming but I can't accept the
> downtime involved in vacuuming.

Not sure about the "cancel vacuum full" question, but I had some other thoughts
for you.

Keep in mind that a plain vacuum can do a lot of good if done regularly, and
it doesn't lock tables, thus the database can be in regular use while it's
run.  As a result, there is no downtime involved with regularly scheduled
vacuums.

There _can_ be a performance hit while vacuum is running, so you may need to
take that into account.  But I would expect that the performance hit incurred
during running vacuum will be less than that of not running it for long
periods of time.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies