Re: patterns for database administration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: patterns for database administration
Date
List pgsql-general
On 23/03/2004 18:24 Matthew Hixson wrote:
> This question isn't specific to Postgres, but since I'm already on this
> list and there are knowledgeable people here I thought I'd ask.  I'm
> currently working on a project that has a web application that faces the
> customer and a web application that faces the administrators.  They sit
> on top of the same Postgres instance.  This database also keeps track of
> purchase information for sales made on the customer website.
>   Has anyone ever heard of using a separate administration database
> which is used to modify business data, and then periodically that data
> would be pushed out to the other database running the customer web
> application?

Yes. I've worked on such applications.

> Does this idea make any sense at all?

It's often a pragmaitic decision taken because the back-end systems are
not able to easily make the data available to the web app. Often an Oracle
DB is placed between the web app and the back-end systems.

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |