Re: building 7.4.1 (on linux) with --disable-shared - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject Re: building 7.4.1 (on linux) with --disable-shared
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
>
>>Does it currently work? src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/*/ is not
>>building anything, and 'make install' fails because it tries to copy
>>*.so files.
>
> For sufficiently small values of "current", it builds.  You do realize
> you won't have any PL languages or conversions, I trust.

>     * src/: backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/Makefile,
>     backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/proc.mk, pl/plperl/GNUmakefile,
>     pl/plpython/Makefile, pl/tcl/Makefile (REL7_4_STABLE): Back-patch
>     repairs for --disable-shared support.
[snip]

Thanks, maybe I'll try this on 7.4.2. Yes, I was just trying out
different configure options. I notice that --disable-shared means
differently than in, one example, Ruby. In Ruby, --disable-shared means
the binaries (i.e. /usr/bin/ruby) are linked statically with the runtime
(libruby.so), but all *.so files are still produced.

--
dave