Re: Setting up Postgresql on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phil Campaigne
Subject Re: Setting up Postgresql on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
Phil Campaigne wrote:
> Hello,
>  I am trying to use the linux startup script in the contrib directory of
> the distribution.  I get the following error in the server log:
>
> LOG:  invalid secondary checkpoint record
> PANIC:  unable to locate a valid checkpoint record
> LOG:  startup process (pid 1480) was terminated by signal 6
> LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
>
> When I issue the this collamd I get an error:
>
> [postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$ psql -- v
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> I have added theses lines in postgresql.config:
>
> tcpip_socket = true
> port = 5432
>
> If I isssue the command:
> [postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$ /etc/init.d/postgres status
> Password:
> pg_ctl: postmaster or postgres is not running
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
> thanks,
> Phil

Opps! I fixed the above problems by re-initializing and creating a new
data directory.  But as I continued I got another error, here's the
printout:

[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$ psql testdb

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help on internal slash commands
        \q to quit

psql: relocation error: psql: undefined symbol: PQgetssl  <?????????????

So I set these env variables:
[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$             LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$
[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$  PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/bin:$PATH
[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$   export PATH

And it works!

[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$ psql testdb

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help on internal slash commands
        \q to quit

testdb=#

MY QUESTION:
These env varialbes are already set in .bash_profile for root and
postgres users.  Why do I have to set them manually every time?
thanks,
Phil